5 Things to do AT College
1. Room with Somebody you Don’t Know
2. Keep an Open Mind
3. Get Involved
4. Seek Career Services Early
5. Have Fun (but not too much)!
1. Room with Somebody you Don’t Know – You’ll still have the same friends you did without rooming with one of them. Plus you’ll have your friends AND your roommate’s friends to go do things with. And you won’t risk losing the friend because of having roomed with them
2. Keep an Open Mind – I’m not talking about changing your opinions or beliefs. I’m talking about intentionally meeting, talking to, and learning about people who are different from you. Find out what’s different about them, and why. If you don’t do anything else in college, learn about other people – from those other people. It will enrich your life in ways you don’t even understand
3. Get Involved – Join your major’s club, play intramural sports (even if you stink), volunteer to help others, run for a student government office, get a job on campus even if you don’t need the money, help run things or create new opportunities at your school – leave your mark!
4. Seek Career Services Early – Don’t wait until Senior Year to go seek help preparing for your career. There are LOTS of things they can do before that, like mock interviews, resume critiques, suggesting job search strategies, etc.
5. Have Fun (but not too much)! – There will be TONS of opportunities for you to have fun. Take advantage of them. Make memories. Just take care of school first, and/or plan your studying to accommodate your activities.
Back to Articles List