5 Things to do BEFORE College
1. Test and Test Again
2. Visit, Visit, Visit
3. Apply Early
4. Be Involved
5. Seek Input
1. Test and Test Again – PLAN, PSAT, ACT, SAT, whatever. Start early taking them, take them often. Familiarity with the test will help your score. Prep using the online resources available, buy a test prep book or program, attend a workshop…
2. Visit, Visit, Visit – Visit as many college campuses as you possibly can – whether it’s for a sporting event, concert, campus tour, major/career event, etc. The more campuses you see, the more idea you’ll have of what you like and don’t like, and what you’re looking for.
3. Apply Early – Don’t wait until you decide where you’re going to school before you apply. Apply to the schools you’re interested in, make the decision later. Admission and scholarship applications don’t cost too much, and don’t commit you to anything.
4. Be Involved – Don’t let your parents (Mom) fill out all your applications, set up your campus visits, call the recruiter when you have a question – You do it! It’s time to start acting like an adult and take care of your own business. Don’t think the colleges can’t tell you’re not the one doing things…
5. Seek Input – Seek opinions about all the schools you’re considering from as many people as possible. Make sure to solicit opinions from those you don’t agree with. The best decisions are made with the most information. This is a big decision, and you need to make sure you go about it the right way.
Back to Articles List